Utility companies are coming to your street to install smart meters to measure and control your usage of gas, electricity and water. They come with the promise of a greener environment and big savings.
But this hasn’t been the experience of people where smart meters have been installed around the world.
What are Wireless Smart Meters?
A wireless smart meter is a device that is able to transmit your private data via microwave radiation 24/7, 365 days per year. It is never switched off. The water utilities call these ‘intelligent’ wireless meters, not ‘smart’ meters but they are the same thing in that they transmit your private date via harmful microwave radiation. Smart Meters are intended as part of a universal Smart Grid.
When the Smart Grid is in place, Smart Meters will not only keep track of how much gas/electrical energy or water you are using, but it will be able to control, regulate, and ration your use of that utility. If a utility company or government agency were to decide that you are not paying your bill on time, using too much heat in the winter, too many cooling fans in the summer, or too much hot water in your showers or washing machine (even if you are willing to pay for that extra usage), etc. your energy or water could be automatically turned down or off.
Smart Meters are an invasion of your privacy – wireless meters transmit data about your private usage of water, electricity and gas: this data can be easily hijacked by criminal elements to learn when you are at home and when not.
Smart meters in the UK are now meant to be voluntary. Utilities now need your informed consent in order to install a wireless smart meter. In practice, however, some utilities may tell you otherwise.
What’s Wrong With Smart Meters?
Microwave radiation is dangerous to our health – there is an ever increasing amount of research and evidence that shows this. However, vested interests try to prevent these facts from becoming public knowledge.
Wherever ‘intelligent’ wireless ‘smart’ meters have been installed this has been the result:
- Not Healthy: Immediate health problems from heart palpitations, chest pain, dizziness, inability to concentrate, memory loss, fainting spells, headaches, dizziness, nausea, sleeplessness, memory loss and even some reports of deaths from cancers. (All symptoms consistent with other wireless microwave radiation sources e.g. Wi-fi).
- Not Green: Damage to the environment – trees, plants, birds, bees and animals, pets (including your cats and dogs) are all damaged by the radiation from smart meters. Smart meters are not green, nor have they been proven to be!
- No Savings: Increased bills – despite promises of lower bills, more often than not, bills have increased as the cost of the meter installation is passed on to you. Not to mention the energy that Smart Meters themselves use and took to produce.
- No Say: Utilities can switch your power off when they want to, without your consent.
- No Privacy: Utilities are collecting and selling data about you to marketing companies; utilities say they own your private data
- Not Safe: House fires – some houses have caught fire
Symptoms of microwave radiation on the human body are many – all of those above plus, in the longer term, they include depression, immune system problems and cancers.
In 2011 the World Health Organisation (WHO) classified microwave radiation emitted from wireless devices as a possible carcinogen . There is strong evidence that the microwave radiation causes cancer, especially in children who are at greater risk because their immune systems are immature. With this in mind it is just foolhardy to continually increase the amount of microwave radiation that we are all exposed to.
In the US, in January of 2012, the American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) declared its opposition to wireless "smart meters” because the scientific and medical literature shows again and again and again a health risk of exposure to microwaves emitted from wireless devices. The AAEM has called for the complete removal of smart meters and a return to safe analogue meters .
At the end of 2012 an excellent documentary entitled “Resonance – Beings of Frequency” (see film online at http://tinyurl.com/resonance-movie) shows how microwave radiation disrupts the natural biorhythms of the body, causing serious disease in all organisms, not just humans. You can see clear and proven cause and effect.
The UK Government relies upon the Health Protection Agency (HPA) to advise it on health risks from microwaves. The HPA says there is no health risk because it uses the ICNIRP standard. The ICNIRP standard measures short-term thermal radiation effects only. To reach a dangerous level you would have to literally be cooked! Almost all the adverse health effects we and other animals suffer from microwave radiation are the result of Non-thermal radiation, particularly over a prolonged period, so the ICNIRP levels are completely irrelevant as a safety standard. The EU Parliament voted the ICNIRP standard “obsolete” by 522 votes to 16 for this very reason.
Some Scientists have also found that levels of nitric oxide and calcium ions in the body are upset by microwaves. Too much nitric oxide can lead to Multiple Sclerosis, diabetes and cancer, whilst too little can cause high blood pressure and damage your arteries. Calcium ions are used by cells to communicate. If they leak out of cells they stimulate cancer cell growth. If too many get into cells the cells get damaged and your DNA gets broken up. This damages fertility.
For these reasons, it is sensible advice to also avoid using wireless devices completely e.g. mobile phones, cordless phones, Wi-fi, wireless games consoles and other wireless gadgets. Put your health first – not the gadgets.
Smart meters send pulses of microwave radiation hundreds of metres or further; so if your neighbour has a smart meter and you don’t, you’re still in range. Ask your neighbours not to have smart meters installed either.
Existing meters work perfectly, are accurate and cause you and no one else any harm.
What Can I do?
Remember, There Is A Choice. If you really do care about your friends, your family, yourself and the world you live in, please do the following:
- Write to your utility companies, stating: No, you do not give permission for a wireless smart meter to be installed -- use some of the information and references here and make use of the template letter provided . Send it recorded delivery to each utility company you use.
- Put a sign on your property saying: I do not give permission to install a wireless smart meter nor do you (utility company) have the right to install one without my written consent.
- Tell everyone about this leaflet, its contents and where to get it from
For more advice, references and template letter please go to http://mastsanity.org/info-guides-/smart-meters.html
The Utility Companies and Government claim that this technology is all safe – but they would since they aim to save Billions of pounds from it every year. They can’t be seen to admit that it’s dangerous.
Since when should we listen to the safety assurances from these people (who make billions of pounds selling us their products) over and above independent scientists' warnings?
If nothing else look into the facts for yourself – take care to look at the work of truly Independent scientists, not those paid directly or indirectly from Government and the Utility Companies.
- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/financialservices/utilities/Business-energy/9053100/Smart-meters-for-energy-to-be-voluntary.html - Smart meters voluntary.
– http://mastsanity.org/component/docman/doc_download/63-smart-meter-template-letter.html - Template letter
- Reference: World Health Organisation (2011), 'IARC classifies Radio FrequencyElectromagnetic Fields as Possibly Carcinogenic to Humans', www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/pr/2011/pdfs/pr208_E.pdf
– Smart Meters in the UK - http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/